"Spider-Man" Broadway opening delayed again
The opening of the troubled Broadway production "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," which was scored by U2's Bono and the Edge, has been delayed again.
The show, the opening for which has been pushed back several times previously, is now scheduled to open March 15. Its initially planned Dec. 21, 2010 opening was postponed to Jan. 11, and then to Feb. 7.
"'Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark' is 10 times more complicated to tech than anything else, and the preview schedule allows for only very limited rehearsal time (12 hours per week)," producer Michael Cohl said, in a press release. "We simply need more time to fully execute the creative team's vision before freezing the show. I picked a date in March that allows me to ensure that this will be the final postponement."
In order to "fine-tune aspects of the show, including the new ending," producers have also canceled all preview performances that had been scheduled for between Jan. 18 and Jan. 25. The show, directed by Julie Taymor, is in previews at Broadway's Foxwoods Theatre.
"Working on this show has been one of the great thrills of our lives, we'll continue working as long as they let us," Bono and the Edge said in a joint statement. "We are looking for the extraordinary here and we are nearly there."
The show is said to be the most expensive Broadway production ever, at $65 million. The show has proved to be a technical challenge, with extravagant pyrotechnics, and cast members -- hoisted by cables -- flying over the audience at high speeds. One cast member suffered broken ribs and internal injuries when he fell more than 20 feet from a platform, and lead actress Natalie Mendoza -- who played the villain Arachene in the musical -- suffered a concussion during the first night of previews, and later left the show.
There have been other injuries during previews and rehearsals related to the aerial elements -- one actor broke both wrists, another broke both feet.